Friday 22 September 2017

What about the Father Son rule?

Felt proud that the AFL and my football club the Western Bulldogs (reigning premiers for 1 more week) came out in support of the YES campaign. 

And yet a lot of people aren't happy about it. Sam Newman of the Footy Show (which I haven't watched in many years cos he generally makes me want to vomit) was particularly vocal in his scorn for the decision. Referring to the AFL as a bunch of obsequious, fawning, sycophantic political whores that had no right to get involved in political messages. Essentially asking who are they that they should tell people what to think and how to vote?


Eddie McGuire countered with that there is an old saying that if you don't stand for something you stand for nothing. Was also particularly scathing of elected officials who won't do anything unless there is a vote in it, hence leaving a leadership vacuum that it is the responsibility of others - organisations included to fill.


I thought about it.


Sam had a point. And I've since read lots of comments from people who would agree with him and seen many a facebook post reading likewise or congratulating the few clubs that made statements distancing themselves from declaring for one side or the other. It would have been a stronger arguement if Sam had said that the AFL don't own the game, the people do, and that's a statement I'd have to agree with.


Eddie scored a point too, albeit a rushed one. Finding myself agreeing with Eddie was almost as a hard a leap for the ball as conceeding that Sam might be lining up a goal. Having put their feet in their mouths so many times over the years I generally just boo them from the cheap seats . Yet I'm angry that obsequious, fawning, sycophantic political whores that are as weak as shit have plunged a whole Nation into this divisive debate. Pitting friend against friend and families against each other on a $122 million survey as to whether their party should allow a conscience vote. I'm not a member of the Liberal party, why am I being asked? Have a conscience vote or don't. But if this is how it gets done then so be it.


The debate has most certainly been ugly at times and the NO team rightly has jumped on a headbutt to Tony Abbott, a sacking and name-calling as showing that the YES side has the capability to play dirty. But when I see someone railing against AFL political correctness on social issues being offensive to them, I wonder if what they want is to be politically incorrect and unsociable. I'm not always empathetic to those feeling persecuted and silenced for saying its ok to say no. I've tried really hard to keep quiet and not get in peoples faces but feel compelled to write this with my social media filling up with people who feel silenced. I hear you! Your voice is loud and clear. And while I might agree that some things that are said or done aren't warranted, have you ever stopped to think, just for a second, that maybe that's how the homosexual community have felt for eons?


I'm one that subscribes to that everything is political. I also think everything is spiritual. I believe in the seperation of church and state in that one should not have power over the other. You cannot however remove politics from spirituality or spirituality from politics. You can't expect someone who believes in a God to not carry some bias with them into parliament. We are all biased in all we say or do or choose not say and do. And you can't expect a believer to not hold political views. Do some really want a parliament of only atheists? That's problematic in itself in that it will not represent a large portion of the people. And to suggest atheists don't hold their own biases is ludicrous. There has to be a place for all. A place for all is what this is about to me.


When many Churches or Religious groups tell people what to think - and when they hire and fire on their values. Well the AFL and clubs have a right to at least declare what they think which is hardly telling someone how they should vote. Everything is political and spiritual and art and inextricably tied together. Including us. All our choices have consequences. I choose inclusivity, I'm glad the AFL does too.

P.S. To those few that actually fear for the father son rule (those making the joke are fine) or that we will end up in a position in the near future with no new players being born due to everyone suddenly turning gay. Please God, help me refrain from belittling their insane lack of logic, it's so hard.


1 comment:

  1. As an enthusiastic Yes man, I was filled with feelings of caramel slice and Seth Rogen movies when I saw the AFL do this. This is what I love about sport - when it steps outside its boundaries to challenge its supporters to engage in an issue. Sport has done this many times with civil rights, especially with racism and sexism. It is exciting to see sport jumping on the Yes bandwagon!

    And yet... I can't help but wonder if I'd feel the same way if they were plastering "NO FUCKING WAY YOU DISGUSTING HOMOS!" on their logo.

    Would I really be thrilled with their social activism if they were promoting a view I disagreed with? I am not at all sure I would.

    So I love that they have spoken out in support of homosexual rights, but I'm not sure they should have.

    In regards to the Father-Son rule - that's one of the stupidest rules I've heard of! Free market, baby!

    ReplyDelete