Tuesday 20 March 2012

A Strange Day

Is there something in the air? It was a strange day for me today due to emotions evoked from conversations and news stories etc. So much so that I thought it warranted a blog. 

It was great today to witness the whole school where I work get together and rally around a student who was shaving off his much loved hair for charity. I always find it interesting how much the atmosphere of a place and the people in it changes for the better when someone is doing something for others. There were other stories today but in my line of work most of those are confidential. I can talk about some of the other stuff, like the public headlines that I encountered today in the news.

Our National Treasure, mining magnate Mr Clive Palmer has accused today the CIA of funding the greens in a conspiracy to destroy Australia's coal industry. The CIA? usually when someone thinks the CIA is out to get them we wrap them up in a straightjacket and put them in a padded room. Maybe the mining tax legislation going through took it's toll on him? And how the mining tax was passed was weird because the ex opposition Speaker of the House stepped in to break a voting deadlock,  siding with the government. Immigration Minister Chris Bowen nearly blew it for the government by missing the vote. I'd be inclined to whack him on the backside for that except that another piece of legislation was also passed, one that I'd like to shake his hand for.

Refugees arriving by boat are now to have the same rights as those that arrive by plane in how their application for asylum is processed. There is still a long way to go to stop the deliberate dehumanisation of those arriving by boat as a detterant to others who might come. I get why they do that but it doesn't make it right. The courts have stated over and over that government and opposition strategies for dealing with refugees are illegal. If Australia is so intent on stopping the boats and branding refugees as illegal immigrants then we should remove ourselves from the treaty that says we will honour the human rights of refugees. I for one see no honour in dehumanising and turning away those in need so while there is still a way to go, this legislation is a step in the right direction and I applaud it.

And then all of this was overshadowed by the passing of Jim Stynes. He's the real national treasure here, loved by many because he lived his life with dignity, humility and generosity. Jim was a man with a big heart, big enough to care for others and help young people in need. He was a giver, not a taker and he loved life and will continue to be an inspiration for generations. I actually cried at the news of his passing, maybe cos he reminded me so much of my dad. I find someone we admire passing away can really help to focus us on what is really important in our lives. I wonder how fondly our whinging mining magnates will be remembered in comparison...

4 comments:

  1. Did you watch Gary Lyon's tribute to Jim on the Footy Show. I usually avoid the show like the plague but was interested to see what they would do. Gary struggled to keep his emotions in check in a very fitting and quite profound tribute to his good mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see Gary, beyond that the show reverted to its usual banal self so I didn't hang around long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago I remember hearing Jim Stynes give a radio interview about the Reach Foundation, and was very impressed by him.

    ReplyDelete