Saturday 28 January 2012

Australia Day Water Ceremony

As a freckle faced kid January 26th in Australia always meant a day of national celebration to me. I was proud to be an Aussie and I remember sun drenched days of backyard cricket, going to sporting events and even one year going to the harbour to watch some tall ships sail in. Those tall ships represented two different perspectives. And in more recent times a growing awareness of the fact that many Aboriginal people see this day as Invasion or Survival Day has soured my taste for flying the flag. Some drape themselves in the flag as a symbol of pride but for others it can be out of arrogance, thinking they own the place, turning the flag into a symbol of hate for others. The Aboriginal view that we don't own it but that we belong to the land always resonated with me.

For the vast majority of Australians there is nothing sinister in how and what they want to celebrate. Regardless, it is still riding roughshod over the feelings of many Aboriginal people.

There has been talk of moving the date of Australia Day and perhaps I'm being paranoid but I fear that doing so could be divisive in a way that would undermine the reason for doing it. I foresee those with misplaced patriotism or those who harbour racist tendencies taking exception to having the date changed, defiantly holding their own Australia Day celebrations or protestations in the face of those who see it as a day of mourning.

Seems it's not just reconciliation between people that is required but that a day needs to be reconciled too. Out of respect I would be content for the date to change but I wonder if there's a better way? What if the date that signifies white settlement and invasion came together? Not just to share a date but to share in both the mourning and celebration.

You could say I have a dream. Back in 2002 I attended a pilgrimage to Uluru where busloads of schoolchildren from all over Australia converged on Uluru to participate in a cultural exchange with the Mutitjulu people. This Pilgrimage still happens annually: http://www.fusion.org.au/schoolsinharmony/

One of the exchanges that took place and that moved me so much that it is forever etched into my memory and deeper, was something called a water ceremony.

A few hundred of us were gathered in an open amphitheatre under the multitude of stars that can be seen in an outback night sky. There we sat or stood holding our plastic cups given to us when we entered. We were entertained with a song sung in the Pitjantjatjaran language by the local women. Then came the story. The story of how Aboriginals kept coming across settlers in the early years who were dying of thirst because they didn't understand how to survive off the harsh land. The Aboriginals thought these settlers a bit dim but generously shared with them the secrets of where all the waterholes were. They were repaid this act of kindness with an act of cruelty. The settlers poisoned the water to kill off the local Aboriginal population.

It was haunting to hear such a story and be standing in the midst of Aboriginal Elders and women and children.

Then the water ceremony begun. This consisted of an Elder holding a jug of water and announcing that like in the old story, they were offering us the water, that which brings life, and that we should accept it properly this time. One by one people moved forward and received the water. Others took up jugs of water and gave it out. It was a very humbling experience to have my cup filled by a young Aboriginal woman who smiled with joy as she was approached from all sides by those eager to participate.

I wonder if this is a ceremony that could be held all over the country on the morning of January 26th at festivals and sporting events and places of significance. It is a beautiful ceremony that puts the Aboriginal people in a place of high regard, establishing them as the traditional custodians of the land. It allows their hurt and their stories to be heard (more should be taught in school!). It puts them in a position that says we can forgive the wrongs of the past and welcome everyone as Australian. It places the non Aboriginal in a place of humility and asks them to act to receive the forgiveness of past wrongs. It is a simple ritual that goes a long way to bringing people together.

As a nation we made a giant leap when we said 'sorry' and a part of reconciliation has to be being forgiven. Is this the next step in reconciliation?

If we have to say sorry and be forgiven every year for the next 40,000 years then that is still good in my eyes so long as we are always moving in the right direction – towards reconciliation.

We have seen the resurgence of Anzac Day as a cultural focal point, especially for the young. Is this because they crave something with deep meaning? Something that brings us together, that shapes who we are. Unfortunately Australia Day doesn't bring us all together. So I dream of it being inclusive and imbued with deep meaning that can shape the culture of this nation.

If culture is shared symbols of meaning, rallying around the green and gold, knowing what 'mateship' means, then the symbolism in a water ceremony says we are all reconciled and we all belong. And with weight lifted I would hope we could move into the rest of the day as a celebration of what we share together now. I remember at the ceremony an Aboriginal woman also thanking for us all the good things we have brought that have enriched their lives, including, us.

I don't know where the water ceremony originated and whether it belongs to one group of people. Whether it would be offensive to ask other groups if they would like to introduce such a ceremony. Perhaps they have other stories and ceremonies that would work too. Everyone would need to own it for it to work.

I don't have a personal relationship with any Aboriginal elders or politicians to be able to ask how they feel about this proposal and whether they'd be interested in being a part of making something like this happen. I will endeavour to rectify both situations and would appreciate any assistance. If you think this is a worthwile idea and you think you can make it happen on a national scale or just on a small local scale which could one day grow to something bigger then I welcome you and urge you to try.

I ask again, is this or something like it the next step in reconciliation?

11 comments:

  1. Hey i-Kris, I liked this idea from the start, & having thought about it a bit, I'm in. I'm probably most interested in getting it happening in my local community, as that's how I think this sort of thing could grow. Time to find out who the Aboriginal Elders are in our neck of the woods...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kris. Great to see where that pilgrimage we shared almost 10 years ago is leading you now. I think it sounds like a wonderful idea - it resonates with me!

    From my scratchy understanding of our history, the notion of Australian mate-ship came from this kind of thing - Aboriginal people caring for the orphans in the early days of the white colony - Aboriginal people showing us that the only way to live is together.

    I'll think and pray about what I can do - especially given I'm currently living beyond our shores.

    It'll be exciting to see where this dream takes you and our nation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Prowsey. Hey Nick, I'm planning on heading into the Aboriginal Centre next to Fresh sometime in the next few days, wanna come?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Steve, checked it out, I will not be following your blog. You yell too much and are too certain in your doctrine for me. I like a bit of doubt and humility and I like to read books other than the Bible, truth for me can be found in many places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please put a follow wedgit on your site so I can follow you also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um...maybe, but why do I need a follow widget? I don't feel the need to list the ammount of followers I have (probably cos it's only a few). Follow it if you're interested though I dunno why you American's would be because this blog is predominantly about Aussie issues and things that interest me. I wouldn't call it a spiritual blog either except that in the sense that everything we do could be said to be imbued with the spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris, it was just an invite...that's all. It's easier to return to someones blog by clicking on thier avatar.

    Also, we Americans (many of us) wish the policy you Aussies have towards forigners would apply here in the USA as well...that would be...if you don't want to live by our rules...you can leave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is that what you wish or just what many of your nation's folk wish? If so I refer you to my blog previous to this one to get some of my perspective on foreigners coming to Australia.

    No worries about the invite, I'll consider the widget thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read your previous article. Your boat people , I would liken to our Mexican problem somewhat.
    BUT...what I was refering to was your Austrialian stance on Muslims and the problems they are causing here in the US..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'm not really sure what problems you're talking about and what stance we have that you're reffering to. Our official stance as it should be is one of acceptance of all people regardless of religion. There are some who do not welcome different beliefs and hence drive a wedge into the community and use spin to whip up attitudes of fear and yes that can cause problems from time to time.

    ReplyDelete