Monday 28 February 2011

The Cultural Cringe


Australia – who are we? Even in my lifetime I feel that I have witnessed a gradual but significant shift in the culture of this nation. It's as difficult to define what I attribute that to as it is to define what is our culture. I've had it defined to me in a way that I resonate with that culture is shared symbols of meaning. A flag is as much a symbol as is the notion of a fair go. It only becomes cultural when a group of people have a shared consciousness around that symbol. Does imposing a symbol lead to a shared understanding or is that indoctrination?

A lot of people have been claiming of late (both in Australia and around the world) that multi culturalism doesn't work. They often referance the cultural differences in races and religions that are incompatible to our mainstream culture (which is still not clearly defined). For the sake of this opinion piece I would say that multi culturalism extends beyond race and religion, we have gay culture, bogan culture, geek culture and myriad other subcultures that dot the landscape of our society.

I remember being part of a subculture in my youth. It was great in that it gave me something to belong to (and we all need something to belong to). It was great in that it gave me a way to define who I was and what I stood for. In retrospect it sort of sucked in that I didn't consider anyone's opinion from outside that subculture as being relevant. I knew better, we knew better. I think I've come a fair way in realising that everyone has something valuable to offer. Sometimes though that elitism bubbles its way to the surface, like the other day...

Being a chaplain at a High School I am friends with a lot of students. A local music festival (MSFest) was on and I noticed a sudden rise from these young people in the use of the f-word in expressing their anticipation of and excitement from attending the event. The f-word was everywhere, not being used in any malicious manner but it was there. And I was finding it all a poor use of language, I think that words, even swear words have power and using language poorly diminishes from that power. I wanted to challenge what was being put out there in a good natured and cheeky way, so I posted:

Kris Adams hereby named old mr grumpy pants for this post gathers that you were all effin excited about going to MSeffinFest and that it was effin awesome...it was just so effin effin effin eff yeah! wish I had some effin other adverbs or adjectives in my effin vocabulary to describe it.
 
On reflection I think that what I felt was that a bogan culture was on the rise because of this music festival and it was getting in my face. So it was my attitude towards what I see as bogan culture that had a large influence over me putting this put down out there. I haven't removed the post because while I think its motivation is a bit flawed, I am a bit flawed and it does represent me reasonably fairly as a status update - passionate but not perfect.

But how do I ever reconcile my attitude with what I see as bogan culture? Oh sure I can get along with a bogan because we can connect across cultural divides in the language of the ocker which I see as a root culture of bogans but definitely not the same. Yet there are elements of the bogan culture as much as there are elements from a more major cultural divide that I don't like. How much do you tolerate something like bogan culture or a culture that oppresses women or a culture that glorifies greed and consumption for that matter?

I can be as tolerant as they come when the need arises but I'm not sure that our pride of being a tolerant nation is something to be that proud of. Tolerance is not liking-but putting up with, regardless of how you feel. I will grant you that being tolerant is better than being intolerant and there will always be things that we should not tolerate...but who decides what those things are? What about having a foundation of respect? Wouldn't being respectful of differences be better than being tolerant of them? Respect doesn't have to mean agreeance, I think respect comes from an understanding and disrespect and fear come from a lack of that.

Therefore does that mean that the whole f-off we're full movement is just full of insecure and frightened people? It may not be valid to me to feel that way but others do. And if that's the case how do we move those folk from that viewpoint, is just labelling them as bigoted racist jerks effective or would we better off giving them a more clearly defined culture, a symbol they can rally around which includes those that they would currently persecute. What is that symbol? Bugger me if I can figure it out as I've stated before I often despair in the face of human nature where I would want to find hope.

So instead of accepting and respecting differences a large portion of the population have made it abundantly clear that immigrants should become one of us or f-off. Why would a newcomer even want to integrate into something that they don't feel welcome to? Maybe we could sell the idea of instead of having detention centres we could have integration centres. Isn't forced integration a form of oppression? Why do we feel the need to oppress? Are we that insecure about ourselves? Not having a clearly defined culture could probably leave one feeling a bit insecure that your own culture could be overidden by another. There is a history of it after all in that we don't all live by an indigenous culture.

Fear is a destructive force, you could argue that it derives from a primitive side of us where what we don't understand we destroy. So couldn't we just be modern about it and try and understand instead? That is a challenge that I at times undertake and in other times out of frustration revert to condemnation. I am sometimes astounded that we get along as well as we do with all the differences we are able to tweak out of eachother. Is it as simple as that we should be focusing more on what we have in common? Is it another case of easier said than done due to our tribal nature?

And damn it's easy to bash politicians but it does frustrate me that our pollies seem more comfortable with reacting to the populace's fear and even using fear and prejudice to their own ends rather than lead in such a way that the populace will follow. It doesn't have to be a pollie but who will lead and help us to understand and respect eachother? Who will accept people even if they are different? Who will acknowledge all people as having value? Who do we and who will we take our cues from?

Can we find some shared symbols of meaning from which we can build bridges across the cultural divide or do I hope for too much?

8 comments:

  1. Hallo Kris (O:

    Thank you for your honest and heartfelt post. It is important to discuss these things, as it does help to give shape and form to the ‘something’ we look for with regards to an ‘identity’, and this post gives form to many. I’d like to add some shapes of my own in furthering the cause. (In two parts because of character count restrictions)

    You know I have an aversion to the term Bogan - and you, plus many others, use the word and ascribe meaning to a particular group of individuals or group behaviour. I really want to caution against this. It is just as divisive as ‘homo’, ‘skank’ or ‘indie musician’ (ok, so the last one is a stretch!) - Bogan and by default, anybody labeled such, do not readily identify with the term, and where they do, a dangerous precedent is set.

    If we liken the word ‘bogan’ to the use of the term ‘boong’ or ‘nigger’, you can begin to see that it becomes an odious term, and one that does not do anything to accurately descibe, rather it further polarises and infuses the targeted group with an identity that many would rail against. Many African-Americans do find the term ‘nigger’ incredibly offensive, and still refuse to participate in its usage, as it represents a term that others outside of that cultural group use as an ‘us’ and ‘them’ weapon. Indeed, it is a word that represents ownership of others.

    Where African-American groups have taken the term on, it can be seen that it is a militaristic sense, beginning with The Black Panthers et al, and their ‘seizing back the power of the word’. Nowadays, it is most commonly linked with ‘Gangsta’ culture, and further, has been appropriated by groups of people the world over as a claim on identity where those doing the claiming see themselves as oppressed, ostracised, disenfranchised or all three. It is a violent word, and to use Tim Minchin as an example ‘unless you’re a ginge with a tinge in your menge; only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger!’

    Same applies to ‘bogan’. It is a disgusting term, as is ‘chigga’, a uniquely Tasmanian term that carries a foul connotation. Bogan is, as you point out, yet another term to describe ‘the other’ - but isn’t one that many people would use to describe their culture. We do see more and more people taking it on, because, a name used so often to decribe a class of people is soon taken on by them to represent what those in the rest of the ‘greater’ culture use as offensive term. “Well, if they reckon how I live makes me a bogan, then feck it, I’ll be a bogan!!!” All this does is give a militant voice and power to the term, and events like Cronulla beach take on shape and form in new ways.

    It’s unacceptable. The use of the term simply adds fuel to the fire of classist and cultural division, and terms of reference become further blurred. The so-called characteristics of bogan-ism do not exist in isolation, nor do they exist in one socio-economic group. Example, the current leader of the Federal opposition oozes what many call boganism, and he certainly does not fit the ‘stereotype’ mold of the demographic normally attributed to boganism. (part A ends)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In truth, Kris, using the word ‘bogan’ is really no different from using the word ‘effen effen effs’ - it is a lazy word and term to try to cover all manner of things. My feeling is that we take a leaf out of the Big Book, and as Dan is so fond of saying, “let you yes be a yes, and your no be no.” - if someone is being putting others down because of their skin, race ethnicity, then describe them a racist and/or classist; if someone is targeting gays or lesbians (transgendered etc.) then describe them as homophobic; if teeny-boppers are running around MF-Fest behaving poorly, slutty, drunkenly then call their parents (O: - seriously, describe them as drunkards, or poorly/provocatively dressed, but for crying out loud, stop describing them as ‘bogans’. It is just as lazy as using the four-lettered expletive, or the six-lettered one (pollie).

    Those families with the surname Bogan must truly hate how their namesakes have been misappropriated and the injustice of being lumped in with a whole host of associated terms; racist, bigoted, poor, ill-mannered, slutty, misogynistic, homophobic.

    This cultural slander is not good enough. It does nothing to help reach a national identity (something I think is equally dangerous; Naziism being the most virulent example) and further divides us. At the end of the day, we are all Australians; Aborigine, European, Indian, Middle-Eastern, Irish, English, Islamic, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, Racist, Racially Tolerant, Homosexual and Homophobic, Misandrists and Misogynists, Saints and Sinners, Rich and Poor, the loved, the lost and the in-between.

    At the end of the day we are just people who happen to live in Australia, by accident of birth, or through travel. Identity is something that people crave, but I believe it is a delusional craving (k.d. Lang’s Constant Craving says it all really). This notion of needing to belong, to be part of something, to have a specialness in the great wide world - it is folly and it is dangerous. We do belong, we are a part of something, we do have specialness. We are called humans and we share (badly) this one earth and we should be united as humans (or Earthlings if you must), not as Australians, nor Africans, nor this -ism or that -ism, that religion or non-religion. It is the desire to be a Nazi that gave rise to the National Identity that turned a state/country into one of the biggest weapons of mass destruction we have known for many years, and some would argue that the ‘Coalition of the Willing’ is the new one.

    We are people, just people, and the moment ascribe notions of National/Cultural Identity to Us, you light the candle that feeds the fire of ‘us’ and ‘them’, and then the slippery slope emerges to swallow us all. Yes, she is African, but she is from Ghana, and her cultural group from that part of Ghana is unique in the world, BUT, at the end of the day, she is me, and I am her; we are, simply and honestly, different expressions of Humanity.

    Morality, ethics, ‘right from wrong’, ‘rights’, ownership, resources… Another arm of the debate (O:

    Peace, Brother Kris (O:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I'd regret blogging, already I've been criticised :). But thanks Tigger for helping me to reconcile my attitude with a specific cultural behaviour that I don't appreciate...all I have to do is not put a label to it. While I wouldn't ever label an individual I can see how even labelling a group in my thoughts only propogates division which is the opposite of what I want to do, I'll try not to mention it again...see, I haven't even used the term :)

    Is there something wrong with 'pollie' that I am not aware of? Wasn't meant as an insult, just doing the lazy shorten the word aussie thing.

    Not convinced though that the search for culture and identity are delusional and unhelpful. Obviously it can be extremely unhelpful and negative but isn't it possible that culture and identity can assist in writing an individual and a collective narrative of great worth?

    I have always considered myself a human first and I get frustrated that parochial national interests get waved about and superceed global interests which I see as pure selfishness. That needs to change and I can see how removing national identity would make that possible where I have seen no other possibility. Just find it hard to shake the idea that we'd be better off without culture, feels sort of like saying we'd be better off without a soul. After all, isn't culture an expression of humanity? Have i misunderstood?

    Peace right back at ya T-Boo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, I'm sorry it came across as criticism; I was trying to be conversational (O:

    Nothing wrong with pollie mate; was just having a crack at them while they’re down (O: ‘Pollie’s are a six-lettered word’ simply meant it is similar to a cuss, i.e., ‘bloody pollies’ (usually said after unknowingly stepping into something distasteful, like a racist immigration policy)…

    I’m not suggesting that ‘we’d be better off without culture’, Ol’Son, just indicating that the import of it is often blown out of all proportion and lends itself far too easily to parochial, racist and isolationist connotations/intentions.

    Hence my ‘story’ of our fellow Ghanian - there is absolutely a need to recognise culture and difference and accept and celebrate these, but as an expression of our humanity, not our nationality. I think that is the way forward.

    Aussies are all sort of things these days, but Australia is, in my opinionated opinion, still a Nation that accepts difference by and large, embraces diversity and still believes that people, regardless of their ‘origins’ deserves a fair go.

    Unfortunately, we hear too much from noisy wheels and high-profile bigots who are trading on the politics of fear and ignorance. No one is denying that enclaves exist in Little Vietnam in Melbourne (Richmond and Springvale), or ‘Islamist’ Sydney Road in Brunswick East, but these folks are surrounded by European (UK, Italian, Greek etc.) enclaves that are no different in that they ‘generally’ associate with their cultural base.

    It is when any group says “we want you to assimilate to our cultural way of doing things” that Nationalism and Identity become ugly. I listen with disbelief that many Europeans scream, “It’s our country, you need to change your ways in order to be here and become like us! We were here first!!” while at the same time Aboriginal Australians sleep rough on the street, die younger, live lives that are ‘generally’ harsher that most statistically… It breaks my heart, not only for their situation, but for my own lack of action and the arrogance of those who declare such rubbish believing that they have some sort of ‘right’ to the place.

    It’s the same when the ‘mainstream’ (read Eurocentric) of Australian Culture say to others in that mainstream, “Stop acting like a Bogan!!! Be like us!!! Stop being so bloody Ocker!!!” To which I say, “Stop.Bagging.Bogans” - there is a wonderfully diverse Australian Ocker expression the country over, and Tasmania has many. You know this from your work, and we know this when we go into the various regions and meet people who are ‘down to, salt of, the earth’ folks.

    We need to recognise this diversity, celebrate it and stop wanting all Australians to become some neutered, stereotype of an Australian ideal. This is ‘us’ and ‘them’ - “If you’re not fer us, you’re agin us!” This is what I believe drives the underlying racial tension and or card (as used in politics of fear) - European Australians being told they need to conform to some Cosmopolitan image of Australianism… They are being squeezed into and identity that they don’t recognise, and they see the Government touting multiculturalism, and all the while being told their Culture is ‘bogan’ and not acceptable. Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conversational I want, makes blogging more worthwile than just articulating my thoughts so thank you for conversing. If that comes with criticism that's fine, especially so if it is delivered respectfully.

    Like what you've had to say...agree...nothing for me to criticise. You've nearly gone as overboard as me in writing so much, want me to change title of blog to 'i-kris and Tigger Boo' :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, nah Bruv, the replies won't all be the same length, but others will soon join in. Keep the title as it is. I'm becoming Entish in my old age (O:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can definitely see how most labels, including 'bogan' create a divide, but what about the other terms you suggested Tim: racist, classist, homophobic, drunkards?

    There aren't many people who I'd consider racist that would call themselves a racist, & I have no desire to have them see themselves as racist. That only entrenches it as part of their identity.

    So I'd think very carefully before calling someone a racist/classist/bogan/etc, but don't have a problem using these terms in impersonal discussions.

    I resonate with Soren Kierkegaard's quote "Once you label me, you negate me."

    And we all do it, and we all need good friends to question us and ask what exactly we are trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nick (O:

    I agree with you last sentence first, as it is important to have friends you can talk to and hear stuff from (O:

    And, respectfully, that's about where it stops (O: Bogan is used as a cover-all for a multitude of attitudes that folks somehow ascribe to particular groups of folk. They confuse 'freedom of speech, without using the freedom to think' - wonder who said that...

    A 'racist' on the other hand is someone who displays attitudes (some subtle, some not, always pernicious) towards another person because of their ethnicity, specifically. It is a specific action, usually with a specific purpose.

    While it is true that racists will rarely call themselves racist, I don't think it was something I indicated they would do, unless you mean, "If you call somebody x long enough, then they adopt that name... etc" - and yes, some do; only saw someone do this yesterday in response to a story on the ABC website regarding population growth.

    Søren Kierkegaard must have had a hard time taking a compliment - "He's a good bloke, that Søren, really upstanding fellow, a Gentlemen!" - ah, you've gone and labeled me now, and I feel all negated (O:

    He was never afraid to use the 'correct' label either, Nick, often referring to others as bores (his intellectual lessers/bogans of his day), or idlers (of which himself was a champion) - but he was idle rich and doing useful work (God's work), as opposed to idle poor who were doing evil (O:

    I am quite happy to call a man who picks on other men and seeks to defeat them with his fists a thug, while in others' eyes he is a boxer. My aversion isn't to describing something for what it truly is, my aversion is for calling people something because it is a 'cause célèbre' and a lazy way of thinking about why I think that way about someone, part of the modern act of Bagging Bogans - "Did you see the reaction on the girls face when I called her a bogan. Aren't I so clever!!!!" Regardless of the hurt, despite the knowledge that it is 'just a game', and in concert with their peers, they stop thinking about what they are saying, just in order to speak and be part of the crowd.

    ReplyDelete